Friday 4 January 2013

Day 4 - Egg Foo Yung

Day 4 - Friday 4th January 2013

Friday's menu

Breakfast: 50g of porridge, small yogurt pot and one plum, cut up.
Lunch: Tesco value 'cup a soup'
Dinner: Eggs Foo Yung (2 eggs, one onion, 3 tbsp of mixed frozen vegetables, 50g of rice).


Menu for today - 
Today I  attempted to experiment and make something a little more interesting with my daily ration of food. Like every morning the best I could do for breakfast was porridge (today it was mixed plain oats with some fruit yogurt and a plum).  Not a ground breaking combination but non the less tasty. 

I was determined that this evening's meal would be more than a bowl of rice, stock and a couple of tbsp of vegetables.   I began scouring the internet for recipes. I quickly realised the choices I  had made in my initial shop hadn't allowed much room for variety. I hadn't bought any spices or seasoning, and eggs and rice together didn't seem to be the foundation of many recipes. After a while I  found a search engine which lets you to search for recipes based on the ingredients you have at home. I  was so excited and eagerly typed in the ingredients. I had very high expectations, desperately wanting the results to somehow show a gourmet dinner that could be prepared with just eggs, stock, mixed vegetables, rice and a onion. Unfortunately the results came back, and in many cases were even more bland than the meals I had been cooking all week.  
Recipe 'inspirations'

Unsure of what to cook tonight, I consulted my family. At which point dad suggested egg foo yung. I hadn't heard of this before, but it sounded exotic and at any rate anything would be better than rice in a bowl. For those of you who also don't know, egg foo yung is a chinese omelette type dish, usually served with white rice. Normally egg foo yung is made with various vegetables such as bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, sliced cabbage, spring onions, mushrooms and water chestnuts. My live below the line version was more an onion and veg omelette, with a side of rice. I was really happy, the meal looked substantial,  was yummy and most importantly wasn't a bowl of stock covered rice. Perhaps it wasn't the impressive creative meal I had hoped to cook but it filled me up! In fact, I am happy to say 3 hours on, hunger is yet to rear its head. Wah hey!!!! 


Please click here if you would like to sponsor me. Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment