Monday 21 January 2013

Day 17 - The Cold

Day 17: Thursday 17th January 2013

Thurday's Menu:
Breakfast: Same as ever Porridge with frozen fruit
Lunch: Cup a Soup
Snack: 1 Small potato
Dinner: Potato curry with small portion of rice

Today was another positive challenge day. For dinner I made a massive potato curry. It was so filling, nutritious and cheap.  I feel like I have have had a break through. A meal that was so big I was able to save the left overs for lunch tomorrow. Such a win.

I am finding the inability to enjoy food with friends a bit difficult. My friend came over this afternoon and I gave her a piece of my brother's chocolate birthday cake. I was desperate to do was have a piece too.  It's so much more fun to enjoy good food with friends. However, I was strong and didn't touch a crumb, despite my over whelming urge to grab her slice and run. I did treat my self to a snack this afternoon, by cooking my self a small boiled potato. As I haven't been able to snack much this did actually feel like such a treat.
Top: Tempting treat of the day (eaten by friend not me), Bottom: Actual treat of the day

As you will have noticed the weather has decided to go Arctic and Britain is experiencing a very cold snap. We Brit's of course are being very dramatic about the whole thing, schools have closed, public transport is down, people have even been raiding the shops for milk and other necessities (heaven forbid we would be snowed in and unable to drink tea). Britain is freaking out. Realistically for most of us this cold is just an inconvenience. Thank God for our central heating, warm clothes and the roof over our heads, tonight we will be protected. There are people all over the world including the UK for whom a cold snap like this could cost them their life.  People who don't have the means to pay to heat their homes or don't have homes at all. They are exposed to the elements and barely even have the chance to warm themselves up with a proper meal. It is scary that there are people in our own country who may not survive this winter because they simply cant afford to feed themselves or warm their homes. I think a lot of the time when we think of poverty we imagine starving children in a far off land. We ignore the fact that there are people living in poverty just around the corner from us. No one should have to live in poverty, its tragic and unacceptable that there are people in our own cities who live like this.

I have been volunteering with a charity based in Reading called Faith. Faith helps people in the local area who are homeless or impoverished. Whilst I am not actually fundraising for Faith this month,  Faith is a small but incredible charity which also needs support. As I am talking about UK poverty today I thought I would give them a shout out. If anyone feels they want to do some volunteering in the Reading area and help make a difference to lives of those in need on our doorstep, click here for a link to Faith's website.







No comments:

Post a Comment