Monday 21 January 2013

Day 18: Going Away

Day 18: Friday 18th of January 2013

Friday's menu: 
Breakfast: Porridge with water sugar and frozen fruit
Lunch: Left over potato curry without rice
Dinner: Baked beans and mash - with strawberry whip for dessert

Friday was an interesting one. I was going away for the weekend to meet up with friends from uni. I was going be staying at my friend Saxony's all weekend, and so had to make sure I was well prepared in terms of the live below the line challenge. I had decided that the best thing to do was to pack ready prepared meals which could just be reheated when needed. This wasn't ideal as it meant I was eating differently to my friends and Saxony's family at meal times, but cost wise it made the most sense. I really want to make sure that I am sticking to this challenge as closely as possible.

So I looked at my remaining supplies for week 3. I decided to make meals that would be easy to transport and would not be a pain to reheat when I needed them. I spent the morning cooking and preparing lots of different Tupperwares of food all ready to packed for the weekend ahead. This is what I ended up with...
  • Breakfast 1 and 2: 2 portions of porridge with 2 tsp of sugar already added + 2 portions of frozen fruit in a seperateTupperware.
  • Dinner Friday Night: Mash potatoes and  Baked beans
  • Dinner Saturday Night: Rice cooked in stock with onions and mixed veg
  • Dessert 1: Half a sachet of strawberry whip - For either day
  • 5 Tea Bags
  • Half of the milk left for the week
  • 3 x cuppa soup
  • Extra porridge portion and extra plain uncooked rice portion (it was snowy so I wanted to be prepared in case we got snowed in)

Breakfast and Dinner all prepared for the next few days.

It was strange packing food to take to eat at someone else's house. I was really worried that I would come across rude or eating different meals would be in some way awkward. Luckily Saxony's family were so welcoming and understanding that it really didn't matter. In fact some really interesting conversations were sparked from the challenge. I'm not going to lie it was so difficult not to give in and eat the delicious smelling roast chicken that had been cooked for everyone. Its hard to be happy with watery beans and mash with Tesco value angel whip to follow, when you have turned down a delicious roast and scrummy Bailey's covered ice cream.

I am living below the extreme poverty line for 31 days to raise money for Tearfund. If you would like to sponsor me please visit my just giving page by clicking here. Any donations however big or small would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

x

1 comment:

  1. Loving your journey - I would like to do something similar - just need to plan.
    Bron - Australia

    ReplyDelete