Thursday 17 January 2013

Day 16: Side Plates

Day 16: Wednesday 16th January 2013

Wednesday's Menu:
Breakfast: Same porridge and fruit combination as everyday.
Lunch: Half can of beans and sausages.
Dinner: Small portion of rice with 1 small onion, 4 tbsp of mixed veg and left over curry sauce from last week.
Snack: Cup a Soup and 1 small potato

I couldn't resist.  I had to have the tinned beans and sausage again for lunch today. I  don't know what came over me I couldn't stop thinking about how delicious they were, nor the fact that there was the leftover half of the tin waiting for me in the fridge.  I know I sound weirdly fixated on what to most, is a rather uninspiring if not disgusting meal, but the novelty of having meat (no matter how fake a processed) was such a treat. I can't believe that something I would normally have snubbed is now the best thing I have eaten in 2013. I have now realised by eating the whole tin of sausage and beans over 2 consecutive days I will have to wait at least a week to experience the joy of it again, but what can you do. It really saddens me that for some people, things like a 40p tin of sausages and beans is something they can only ever treat themselves to.

The portion definitely looks much bigger on this!
I have been struggling the past weeks with the generally small portions. I just don't seem to ever feel satisfied. I did wander if there was something psychological about this.  Dinner plates are massive, and make the portions look so tiny. Maybe I would be full if my brain thought it had, had a proper meal.  Today I decided to take my friend's advice and plate up the evening meal on a side plate. I hoped the portion would look bigger on this and so I would be tricked into feeling fuller. I have to say something about it worked. I was far more satisfied with this dinner than the exact same meal I had on Saturday. It did feel like I was having a proper meal today which was nice. I can't say the psychology worked all evening, I was hungry again by 9. I think this was partly due to the fact that I had had dinner really early. Having spent alot of the day walking around in the freezing cold, I arrived home famished. I was so hungry I  ended up eating dinner at 5pm. I think I had also burnt alot of calories trying to keep warm having spent most of the day outside and so possibly was also more hungry because of this.  I will from now on definitely be eating off a side plate, hopefully this will help over the remaining few weeks.

Please, if you can afford to, it would be amazing if you could support me this month by sponsoring me on my  Just Giving Page. Even the smallest donation would be a fantastic motivator to help keep me going and more importantly will go to a fantastic charity. Please click here if you would like to donate today.

Thank you




No comments:

Post a Comment