Wednesday 16 January 2013

Day 15 - Dilemma

Day 15: Tuesday 15th January 2013

Tuesdays menu:
Breakfast: Porridge with water frozen fruit and 1 tsp of sugar
Lunch: Tesco Value Cup a Soup
Dinner: Small portion of mashed potato with half can of beans and sausages.

The baked beans and sausage gamble paid off. It was surprisingly delicious. I was pretty satisfied with my dinner and having something different was such a blessing. The fact that there is such a limitation on the amount of variety I can buy each week means any slight change feels like a gourmet dinner. The 25p beans, sausage and mash meal I  has today felt like a michelin quality feast. If nothing else live below the line has taught me to delight in even the most simple things.

At midday tomorrow I should be hitting the exact half way point of the challenge (I'm not counting the days or anything). However,  a bit of a dilemma has arisen. I found out last week that the training weekend for my trip with Tearfund has been moved to the last 3 days of January. This got me thinking, how on earth am I going to live below the line on those days? I initially thought that I could just bring tupperwares of pre-prepared meals. However, it transpires that all meals are provided with the training and so this idea isn't really appropriate. Whilst I won't be spending any money on food and drink over these 3 days, I can't monitor how much each meal will cost. This being the case I would not be able to truly live by the challenge for the last 3 days of January, what a shame.

I gave my self the challenge of living of a pound a day for 31 days, so I intend to complete this even if sadly those 31 days are not consecutive. Whilst it is in no way ideal, I will just have to add an extra 3 days onto the challenge. Therefore the completion date will be the 3rd of Feb rather than the 31st of Jan. I will not be treating the 3 training days as a break. I will just have to make sure that whilst at the training I am just eating the sorts of foods and portions that I have been eating through out the month. I will not be able to technically live on £1 a day, as I can't confirm how much a meal will cost, however  I will at least be trying to be consistent.

I am really gutted that the challenge is going to end so messily, however this couldn't be helped. At least by extending the challenge by 3 days, it will be completed. For 31 days I will have spent only £1 on food and drink a day.

Despite the extension, we are still nearing the middle of the challenge, what a perfect time to get sponsoring. All the money raised will go to helping Tearfund continue their work to fight poverty. Please donate today by clicking here to be taken straight to my just giving page.

No comments:

Post a Comment