Saturday 12 January 2013

Day 11: Challenges

Day 11: Friday 11th January 2013

Fridays Menu: 
Breakfast: The usual (porridge with water, frozen fruit and a tsp of sugar)
Lunch: 3 mini boiled potatoes
Dinner: Rice with kidney beans and rice.
Snack: Half a sachet of Strawberry Whip
At least I was Prepared  Today - Packed Lunch

Today I had a really busy day. I was out of the house from 11am untill 11pm. This meant I had to plan and pre-cook my lunch and dinner. I was expecting today to be one of the more challenging days so far as every activity I had planned, involved some of food. I  was first of all heading into London  to meet my friend and celebrate her recent birthday. I knew we would be spending a lot of our time exploring London , but we would inevitably make a trip to some form of coffee shop to grab a drink and lunch. Don't get me wrong  I suggested going to sit down for lunch today and I  really enjoyed it. One of my favorite activities is sitting down over a drink (even if it is water) and catching up with my closest friends. I am more than happy to go places that sell food and drinks, and I really don't want anyone to feel guilty that they are eating in front of me. In fact they shouldn't at all, I decided to do this challenge. If I really wanted to, I could throw in the towel and go and buy a coffee and a cake. 

As we settled down to lunch, and I pulled out the pathetic lunch in my bag, I found myself staring longingly at everyone's food. Oh my goodness their coffees smelt amazing, and I  was painfully aware of the delicious smelling croissant being eaten by a girl on the table next to me. Sitting in a place surrounded by delicious smelling food, reminded me what I was missing out on. I think I have been getting used to my plain food, and forgotten the options that were out there.
Not Quite the Popcorn, Chocolate orHot Dog I fancied, but still tasty.

After a lovely day trip I headed back to meet the girls at the cinema to see Les Miserables. Walking in I  was hit by the smell of popcorn and hot dogs. It took all my self restraint not to run up to the counter and buy everything. Looking at the scrumptious treats on offer, some how the rice and beans in the tupperware in my bag looked far less appealing. It hit me how poverty doesn't just mean hunger, it also means sacrificing. even the smallest treats we take for granted are just not an option for billions. Today I  was reminded of how difficult this month will continue to be.  I know that I am doing this challenge for a great cause, and I know for me it is a choice and it will only last 1 month. However, it did hit me that this may not get easier, and  as the weeks go on I  must endeavor to keep my momentum going. I must always remind my self that over 1.4 billion people are challenged more than this every day through no choice of their own. 

If you would like to sponsor me please click here to be taken straight to my Just Giving page. 

Thank you.






No comments:

Post a Comment