Sunday 13 January 2013

Day 12: What is poverty

Day 12: Saturday 12th January 2013

Saturday's Menu:
Breakfast: 50g of porridge with water, 50g of fruit and a tsp of sugar
Lunch: Home made tomato, bean and vegetable soup.
Dinner: Chickpea, onion and vegetable curry (1/4 tin of chickpeas, 3tbsp of veg, 1 small onion, 75g of rice)
Snack: Half sachet of Angel Whip

First proper lunch in 12 days.
I feel like I have eaten quite a lot today in comparison with every other day this month. Its been such a treat. I decided to make some soup, I just wanted to have a lunch that felt like a proper meal. I pooled together everything I could from my stash of food and came up with a simple but delicious Tomato, Bean and Vegetable soup. I was the first proper lunch I have had since the challenge began. It really filled me up, was fairly nutritious and would last 3 meals. Perfect.

Tomato, Bean and Vegetable Soup: 
1 Can of Chopped Tomatoes - 35p
1 and 1/2 pints of Stock - 1p
6 mini potatoes - 10p
1/4 tin of chick peas - 17p
1/3 tin of kidney beans - 9p
9 tbsp of veg - 10p
Bay Leaves - 5p

Total 87p - (29p per serving)

Having 3 meals today and a snack was definitely treat. This is something that I will not be able to keep up through out the month. It was nice, however, to feel that I have given my body enough nutrients and not to go to bed hungry for once. I now know that I have 2 other days where I will be able to have a proper lunch, this is worryingly very exciting. 

I am living below the extreme poverty line for the month of January to raise money for Tearfund. Any money raised will help them tosend out more volunteers to work on their projects. This will ensure the projects run for longer and more vulnerable  people can be helped.

I am not going to write much more today as I found this video from Tearfund, which I think is definitely worth a watch. It is brilliant at simply but effectively bringing home the facts on what poverty actually is. It also gives a bit more information on Tearfund as a Charity. Hopefully it will inspire you to donate today. Tearfund is a fantastic charity and any money you can donate will be well used and very much appreciated. If you would like to sponsor me please click here to be taken straight to my just giving page.



Thank you
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment